Periscope came on the scene and like that, we have just another social network to maintain!
But don’t be scared. Unlike trying to keep up with Facebook’s algorithms and try and beat the system, Periscope is more fun than it is work. And you know what, I think it’s here to stay. Just like brands weren’t sure Instagram was worth it to them, Periscope is turning out the same way. A few months ago when they launched I thought it seemed cool but was a little weary that it’d become one of those countless other social networks and I didn’t want to put in any effort in if it wasn’t going to be around too long.
So why is it so awesome you ask?
- I can broadcast LIVE from my living room. That might not seem like your idea of a good time but it is mine! A few years ago I was into making YouTube videos and was dead set on becoming a beauty guru but what stopped me (other than my lack of beauty skills/money to spend on make up and clothes) was the editing of videos for YouTube. I don’t know about you but when I am given the chance to edit something, it will NEVER be perfect. I think my perfectionism got in the way of just having fun. With Periscope you go live and there’s no chance to do a do-over, unless you delete your video (which auto-deletes after 24 hours anyway).
- I can connect with viewers/blog readers in a very intimate way. Sure, I share some personal stuff on my blog but being able to SHOW you my life is so super personal. I’ve been able to get to know some of my favorite bloggers on Periscope and it’s so cool to get a sneak peak into their lives. You feel apart of some super elite club. I’ve noticed brands are doing product reveals, celebrity’s are doing Q&As and even last night I watched a parade in Disney World. It’s a very different way to connect with viewers/readers and it’s really catching on quickly!
- Blog posts take TIME but Periscope broadcasts are QUICK! If you have a topic in mind, write down a few points you plan to hit on, hit record and you’re good to go! Viewers will ask questions — acknowledge them! Unless they are creeps in which case just block them.
- No matter your niche, it’s a great way to show your work. If you’re a food blogger it’s a perfect platform to show how to cook something (hello, cooking show!!!) or do a grocery haul. If you are a DIYer you can do reveals, show your work in progress or do a home tour!
- Periscope compliments my blog posts really well. So once you’ve finished a blog post, hop on Periscope and give a little peek at the post. JUST A PEEK. If you give it all away they have nothing to go see it for. Be creative with how you entice your viewers to hop over to the blog!
I think the most important thing to remember when using Periscope is to have fun! Be authentically you and it will shine through. Now go follow me and I’ll follow you back and we can be Periscope pals, sound good?
PS: I’ll be sharing this post on these wonderful blogs!