Preparing for our second baby is a whole lot different than our first. It’s not the life-altering adjustment it was when we had our first. I also found because it was all new to us with the first, we were really eager to get everything ready. Like, crib put together at 5 months pregnant, stroller and car seat all ready by 7 months pregnant.
This time around we keep finding ourselves saying, “OH CRAP, we better get that done soon”.
Our toddler keeps us insanely busy so the weekends are about keeping him entertained and doing fun things as a family. And you know what? That’s exactly what I feel we need to be doing right now. Soon enough things are going to be chaotic and this quality one-on-one time with our oldest will be harder and harder to find.
For this pregnancy, it’s not about having the perfect nursery or having every last detail finished before the baby comes (except I am loving the weaving I made for this little one!). I’m being very honest with myself and not even setting those unrealistic expectations for myself because there was a lot about my first delivery and post-partum expectations that were completely unrealistic.
My (humble) to-do list is as follows:
- Bask in the simplicity of an independent toddler that can entertain himself and express his needs, wants and desires.
- Have the essentials prepared (ie: wash the newborn clothes, have cloth diapers ready, and have bassinet put together).
- Go on a date with my amazing husband, just the two of us.
- Take my gorgeous little toddler on as many one-on-one dates as possible and soak in every second of him.
- Emotionally prepare for breastfeeding. Stock up on Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and clean my pump!
- Me time. Whether that’s a hair appointment, a solo coffee date, or a trip to the mall.
This is it. These are the most important things that I need to do for myself. If I think hard enough I can remember the all-consuming feeling of being overwhelmed and trapped at home with a new baby. & I fully expect to feel all those feels again. It’s just preparing the mind to get into that zone again. I nested before my first in the way that felt most natural to me at the time and that was by decorating the nursery and making sure everything was bought and I was ready. This time around I feel like it’s all about me being prepared emotionally.